FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
John Wells III
DATE: June 28, 2019
LOUD FRIDGE THEATRE GROUP ANNOUNCES THE CAST AND CREATIVE TEAM OF THE SAN DIEGO PREMIER OF STRAIGHT—BY DREW FORNAROLA AND SCOTT ELMEGREEN, CREATORS OF COLLEGE THE MUSICAL.
WHAT: Loud Fridge Theatre Group produces the San Diego Premier of STRAIGHT Written by Drew Fornarola and Scott Elmegreen.
WHO: John Wells III, Arielle Siler, and Bryce Gerson to star in STRAIGHT directed by Kate Rose Reynolds and Andréa Agosto.
WHEN: Playing July 25-August 4, 2019. Opening Night is Thursday, July 25th. Performances run Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm, and Sundays at 2pm.
WHERE: Tenth Avenue Arts Center, Forum Stage, 930 Tenth Avenue, San Diego Ca 92101
TICKETS: Tickets range from $17.50 – $35. Discounts are available to Groups, Students, Educators, Seniors, and Military. Tickets can be purchased online at
Written by Drew Fornarola and Scott Elmegreen
Directed by Kate Rose Reynolds and Andréa Agosto
Playing July 25 through August 4, 2019
Praise for Straight
"A smart, bracing production brimming with clever wisecracks [and] some thought-provoking observations on sexual identity."
-The New York Times
"A revolution of expectations. One's own. One's friends'. And society's."
-The Huffington Post
"A fun, smart take on modern love."
"Savvy, enthralling … a first-rate comic drama … a complex love story of sorts, fraught with lust and duplicity."
-Gay City News
"Straight smacks us in the head and the heart."
More information can be found at: https://www.loudfridgetheatre.com
For interviews and photos, please contact John Wells III, Artistic Director, at 619-724-1151 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
About Drew Fornarola
Drew Fornarola is a playwright and songwriter from New York City. He has written about antisocial ogres, bisexual investment bankers, singing Christian vegetables, racist prosecutors, and a homicidal purple platypus. Notable film credits include: VeggieTales Noah's Ark (DreamWorks Animation, Starring Wayne Brady); 1 Night in San Diego (Starring Alexandra Daddario). Notable theater credits: Straight (NY Times Critics’ Pick, notable prods in New York, Mexico City, Vienna, Berlin, and Atlanta among many others); Claudio Quest (winner of 6 NYMF Awards for Excellence, Ovation Award Nomination for Best Score, in development with ARShowPro as an augmented reality theatrical experience); Shrek The Halls: The Musical (DreamWorks Theatrical); Molly Shannon's Tilly the Trickster (Atlantic Theater Company, collaboration with SNL's Molly Shannon) and Thucydides (winner of the Samuel French Festival, pub Samuel French). HERSHEY'S UNWRAPPED, a 30-minute immersive theatrical experience, is currently running 13 times per day at Hershey Park in Pennsylvania. Drew has headlined concerts around the world including at Lincoln Center, Feinstein's/54 Below, Broadway au Carre (Paris), London Theatre Workshop (London), Bar Fedora at Au Lac (Los Angeles), and The Duplex (New York). He holds a BA from Princeton, a JD from Fordham, and is a graduate of the BMI Workshop. Drew is the founding artistic director of Starring Buffalo.
About Scott Elmegreen
Scott Elmegreen is a Brooklyn-based playwright, composer, and author. His other shows include Vote For Me: A Musical Debate (Roy Arias Stages, Off-Broadway; London Theatre Workshop, UK), College The Musical (NYMF Award – Best Lyrics; Hippodrome State Theatre; pub. Dramatic Publishing Company), Thucydides (Samuel French Off-Off-Broadway Play Festival Winner; pub. Samuel French), and Awesome Allie, First Kid Astronaut (pub. Theatrical Rights Worldwide), which premiered Off-Broadway and is now performing in planetariums and museums across the United States.
His music and orchestrations have premiered on Broadway and HBO in the Drama Desk- and Emmy Award-Nominated Colin Quinn Long Story Short, (directed by Jerry Seinfeld), as well as in numerous national tours, Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway shows, and the Phd Comics Movie. Scott wrote the book, music, and lyrics for theatrical adaptations of The Magic School Bus (national tours in the United States and China), the NY Times Bestselling Series Ivy + Bean (Atlantic Theatre, Off-Broadway; national tour; Bay Area Children’s Theatre; South Coast Rep; Oregon Rep; Orlando Rep; pub. Theatrical Rights Worldwide), and the NY Times Bestselling Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy picture books (Bay Area Children’s Theatre premiere; national tour). Scott is a graduate of Princeton University.
ABOUT THE CAST
• John Wells III, is an actor, writer, and founding Member of Loud Fridge Theatre Group, and is thrilled to participate in the San Diego Premier of STRAIGHT! Previous credits include Stage: Cardboard Piano, The Mystery of Love and Sex (Diversionary Theatre), Dogfight, A Chorus Line (Chance Theatre) The Taming of the Shrew (Method Actors Theatre), Sister Act (Musical Theatre West, Performance Riverside), Monsters in the American Cinema, Communicating Doors (Scripps Ranch Theatre). Staged readings & Workshops: Les Switch (Diversionary Theatre), Swimming While Drowning (Amigos Del Rep), Top Gun/Underdog (Carlsbad Players) Froggy, FOB: Folsom, SLAM (La Jolla Playhouse)
• Arielle Siler is a passionate theatre maker who is a proud member of the cast of “Straight.” She is not only an actor but she is also an applied theatre facilitator and producer. She is devoted to supporting, performing in, and facilitating spaces of empowerment through theatre. Arielle’s performance credits include What to Send Up When Goes Down written and directed by Aleshea Harris (Boston Court Theatre), The Blacks: A Clown Show by Jean Genet and directed by Craig Gibson (The Actors Company Theatre), and Founding Families devised with Marissa Chibas of CalArts’ Center for New Performance and directed by Nataki Garrett (The Pico House). Arielle’s producer credits include The Blacks: A Clown Show and Alive & Well: A Night of Black Voices. Arielle received her Master’s in Applied Theatre from Goldsmiths University of London and her BFA in Acting from California Institute of the Arts.
• BRYCE GERSON is thrilled to make his Loud Fridge Theatre Group debut in the role of Chris. A native of San Clemente, CA and a graduate of the University of Oregon, Bryce currently resides in LA. Regional credits include Charley’s Aunt (Charley Wykeham) & Bat Boy (Bat Boy). Film credits include Ruth, Somewhere East, If I Had a Dream, I Choose Her, & Audition. TV: "Do it Better." Bryce has studied at Speiser/Sturges Acting Studio & Upright Citizens Brigade.
ABOUT THE CREATIVE TEAM
• Kate Rose Reynolds (Director/Lighting Designer) is an actor/director/designer, and founding member of The Loud Fridge Theatre Group, who returned to San Diego last year after living in NYC and San Francisco. She has most recently directed readings of Jetty and Ripped as part of the Bristol Valley Theatre New Works Initiative in upstate New York. As a designer, she has worked most recently with Theatre for Young Professionals, lighting designing their production of Ever in the Glades/The Complete History of Theater, Abridged. Recent performance credits include: Move Over Mrs. Markham, Communicating Doors (Scripps Ranch Theatre); Twelfth Night, Hamlet (Arabian Shakespeare Festival, SF); and Cardboard Piano (Diversionary Theatre). She also stars in a feature horror film, Soul to Keep, available now on all streaming platforms.
• Andréa Agosto (Director/Marketing) is an award winning filmmaker (Kansas City Film Fest) actress (International Model & Talent Association) and founding member of Loud Fridge Theatre Group. Ms. Agosto is thankful for each performance opportunity. Her favorite credits include: Bull in a China Shop (Pearl), The Magic in This Soul (Grant/John), Elizabeth Hobbs Keckley: From Slavery to Modiste (Elizabeth Keckley), Cardboard Piano (Adiel/Ruth), Homos, or Everyone in America (Laila), Avenue Q (Gary Coleman), The Best Goodbye (Sabina), Cell (Gwen), You Can’t Take it With You (Rheba), Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike (Nina), Bare (Tanya), Flyin’ West (Minnie), Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters (Manyara), Working (Maggie Holmes), Big River (Alice), High School Musical (Taylor), and Grease (Rizzo).
•Kellen Gold (Stage Manager/Sound Designer) A San Diego transplant from Washington, Kellen is pleased to join 'Straight'. She holds a BA in Theatre Arts from San Diego State University, and is an associate artist at Lamb's Player's Theatre. Previous SM credits: Doctor Faustus Lights the Lights(SDSU); American Rhythm, Shadowlands, Big Fish, Once, Persuasion (ASM, Lamb's Player's Theatre); Angel's Arms (Emergency SM, LPT), Tuesdays with Morrie (Trinity Theatre Company). As an actor, she was most recently seen as Margot in American History Theater's production of 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. Favorite acting credits: June in Smoke on the Mountain (LPT), Laura in Year of the Woman (SD Fringe Festival), and Laurent in Tartuffe (Coronado Playhouse), among many others. Kellen formerly taught karate at Martial Arts America in Coronado, where she received her black belt in 2014. Enjoy the show!
LOUD FRIDGE THEATRE GROUP
Loud Fridge Theatre Group, is a collection of actors and designers joined together with the common goal of telling honest stories well. It is a brand-new theatre, excited to produce their first production, The California Premier of STRAIGHT. Loud Fridge Theatre is dedicated to telling stories that reflect the human condition, all while captivating audiences. The theatre aim’s to be a constant noise in the community, telling stories that are bold, honest, and diverse. It is a Theatre dedicated to people and therefore dedicated to you!
Location: 930 Tenth Avenue San Diego, Ca
Parking: Metered Street Parking. Free after 6 and on Sundays.
Accessibility: The Forum Stage is not wheelchair accessible.
Tickets and Subscriptions: Available at our website.
Meet Ben. Ben is a 26-year-old investment banker. Ben likes beer, sports and Emily … and Chris. Straight is a provocative new play that deals with fidelity, sexuality and identity in "post-equality" America. Funny, sad, sexy and surprising, this three-character drama takes a hard look at the moral complex of a generation that prides itself on the pretense of acceptance. Straight serves as a powerful discourse on labels, and explores the implications about that phenomenon in our society and how it might affect the people around us. Set in contemporary Boston, the play follows Ben, who finds himself in an internal battle between his love for his long-term girlfriend, Emily, and the budding romance with a 20-year-old college student named Chris.
Photo: Andréa Agosto
Photo: Andréa Agosto
Loud Fridge Theatre Group is producing the San Diego premier of STRAIGHT the provocative new play by Drew Fornarola and Scott Elmegreen, that deals with fidelity, sexuality and identity in “post-equality” America, directed by Kate Rose Reynolds and Andréa Agosto. Straight, The New York Times Critic’s Pick, chosen for its “smart, bracing writing brimming with clever wisecracks and thought-provoking observations”; made its Off-Broadway Debut at the Acorn Theatre in 2016. Now, Straight is making its California Debut, after enchanting audiences in New York City, Mexico City, Austria, Berlin and much of the east coast. Straight has been translated into four languages for productions around the United States and the World, including a 12-week sold-out run in Mexico City and a European tour (pub. Dramatic Publishing Company).